Sign in to follow this  
Ehren

2020, performance improvements, redesigned site, future themes and a coupon code!

Hi everyone!

I'd like to start by wishing everyone here a happy new year! 2020 will mark the 14 year anniversary of ipsfocus, and should also include some exciting updates to Invision Community. After joining the Invision team as a designer a couple of months ago, I'm really looking forward to working with the team to improve the software for future updates, so stay tuned for that!

For those of you with a keen eye, you may have noticed that a slight redesign of the main website was released a few hours ago. Despite being quite similar to the old site in terms of design, the new site has actually been coded from scratch and focuses on neater code and speed improvements (a smaller css file, less javascript files, webp images, etc). A matching forum theme will ideally come at some point in the future.

With this as inspiration, I now plan on auditing all IPSfocus themes in an attempt to improve their performance and/or allow for easier customization. Chameleon will be the first to receive updates, where the focus will be on improving scrolling performance by allowing the blur effect to be customized (or even disabled) much more easily. Other themes which currently struggle in terms of performance such as Titan and Uniform will follow.

Once the performance updates have been finished, I plan on releasing a few more themes, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while now. If there's anything you've been wanting in an Invision theme, let me know in the comments below!

And if you've made it this far, why not celebrate with a coupon code which reduces all themes by 20% until January 20, 2020. Simply enter 2020 as a coupon during checkout to receive the discount! That's a lot of 20's!

:)

• Like 10

Hi Ehren,

Great news on joining the team at IPS, here's hoping you'll make some decent changes there! 😀

I recently visited a site (I can't remember what it was) that allowed its users to toggle between a light mode and dark mode on a single theme. It meant that the overall experience was identical for users on light or dark themes, whereas right now to use a light theme on my site it's an entirely different look and experience. I'd love to see this make it into your themes. (A toggle-able light and dark version of Animate? Yes please!)

I also think I read on the IPS forums that it's possible to have a theme pre-select the light or dark toggle of a theme based on the browsers own colour scheme (e.g. if a user runs their browser in a dark mode). I don't know how feasible that is, it's just what I recall having read.

• Like 1

A light and dark toggle is something I’d love to have in my themes at some point. I plan on releasing a theme in the not too distant future which will come in both light and dark variations. Adding a toggle icon to switch between the two should be quite simple. 

If you can find the article about auto-selecting themes based on the OS setting, that would be helpful. Browsers support a @prefers-color-scheme media query which allows designers to provide different css depending on the OS colour scheme, however implementing that into Invision Community would be a monumental task due to the huge amount of colours which are used throughout the suite. 

• Like 4