Sign in to follow this  
Ehren

New IPS theme: Novus

Recommended Posts

Introducing the first new theme of 2017, Novus!

 

promo.jpg

 

Novus was originally developed for the 3.x series and is the first theme to be released on the new 2017 framework. Novus has only 3 modified HTML template files, which means the theme should (in most cases), upgrade automatically and require zero manual upgrades. This is a huge advantage over older themes, which require updates whenever IPS releases updates to their suite.

The theme comes with the standard ipsfocus features such as social icons, an image picker (for the header), a guest message, global message and mega footer. It's built on a very solid framework which has been tested in all browsers over the past couple of months - so feel free to view the live demo and take a look for yourself!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought based on your original line of thought that the new mostly css themes would be introduced at a lower price than the more intensive coded themes. So was rather surprised when the new themes were introduced as the same price as the others with the same renewal fees as well when they're less likely to need subscription access updates between IPS versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Koby said:

I thought based on your original line of thought that the new mostly css themes would be introduced at a lower price than the more intensive coded themes. So was rather surprised when the new themes were introduced as the same price as the others with the same renewal fees as well when they're less likely to need subscription access updates between IPS versions.

That was the original plan - however during development, I realised how basic the themes would be if they were simply css versions. The new framework is by no means a small project - it includes all of the original ipsfocus featuers, but in a much more condensed and user-friendly package.

And yep, you're correct. Updates will be much less likely, if at all - however the renewal price is not mandatory for customers, nor is it only for access to upgrades. It's optional and allows customers to receive support for modifications (or the rare upgrade) beyond the 6 month period. If you don't feel it's necessary, it can simply be removed from your order during checkout. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ehren said:

That was the original plan - however during development, I realised how basic the themes would be if they were simply css versions. The new framework is by no means a small project - it includes all of the original ipsfocus featuers, but in a much more condensed and user-friendly package.

And yep, you're correct. Updates will be much less likely, if at all - however the renewal price is not mandatory for customers, nor is it only for access to upgrades. It's optional and allows customers to receive support for modifications (or the rare upgrade) beyond the 6 month period. If you don't feel it's necessary, it can simply be removed from your order during checkout. :)

Do you get a discount if you already own the original version of the theme such as the 4.x version, or is it separate all together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One more question, to modify colors etc. Does it use the IPB color inputs, or is the color hard encoded into the .CSS template? Also is there anyway to shrink up the header on Novus so it's not so tall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nodle said:

Do you get a discount if you already own the original version of the theme such as the 4.x version, or is it separate all together?

Unfortunately discounts aren't offered since Novus was never part of the subscription service - however all existing 4.x customers automatically receive themes for $25 instead of $30 :)

7 hours ago, nodle said:

One more question, to modify colors etc. Does it use the IPB color inputs, or is the color hard encoded into the .CSS template? Also is there anyway to shrink up the header on Novus so it's not so tall?

All of the colours are controlled by the colour inputs. There are no hard-coded colours in the css :) The height of the header is controlled by the Header > Logo Height setting.

I hope that helps!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the "Other" toggles for? I see one is for floating nav, what are the other two for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nodle said:

What are the "Other" toggles for? I see one is for floating nav, what are the other two for?

They're placeholders for future settings, or for future themes. They don't currently do anything :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this