• 0
Liridon

How much space do I need?

Question

Hello!

First time trying to configure a server and I have a few questions.

*Is this easy to set up for a community? Like tabs and adding other HTML codes from other programs, like intergrate in website.

*Will 3GB of internet storage do it? How far will it go til it fills up? 

*Do I have to code anything in HTML or is everything sorted?

Thank you,

A noobie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
3 minutes ago, Empire said:

You need more then just 3gb. What website are you building?

A website for a WoW guild. Just something small with a forum section and some widgets on the sides regarding the guild activities. 

What would you recommend me getting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, Liridon said:

Hello!

First time trying to configure a server and I have a few questions.

*Is this easy to set up for a community? Like tabs and adding other HTML codes from other programs, like intergrate in website.

*Will 3GB of internet storage do it? How far will it go til it fills up? 

*Do I have to code anything in HTML or is everything sorted?

Thank you,

A noobie

Are you aware that ipsfocus is only a theme provider? You still need to pay for IPboards software from invisionpower.com 

Also a wow guild might be able to manage on 3gb but I would recommend 10+ for a Web server. If you are willing to learn, a Linux vps can be picked up extremely cheaply to host a Site. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
50 minutes ago, Neejrow said:

Are you aware that ipsfocus is only a theme provider? You still need to pay for IPboards software from invisionpower.com 

Also a wow guild might be able to manage on 3gb but I would recommend 10+ for a Web server. If you are willing to learn, a Linux vps can be picked up extremely cheaply to host a Site. 

No good sir I was not. Thank yuo for clearing this for me, as I said I'm all new to this.

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The MySQL DB of my forum is nearing 3GB by itself. Then you still have to factor in IPS files and everything...

My server has 8TB of hard disk space and 32GB of ram.

 

3GB sounds like you're on some really tiny shared hosting package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, Koby said:

The MySQL DB of my forum is nearing 3GB by itself. Then you still have to factor in IPS files and everything...

My server has 8TB of hard disk space and 32GB of ram.

 

3GB sounds like you're on some really tiny shared hosting package.

Yes I believe so. As I said, it's a small guild - all we need is a tiny forum part and a apply section. Maybe a calendar as well.

Since I'm all new to this, I don't want to throw in that much money into this yet. I'm trying to learn what options there are out there for us.

Do you have any tips? How to get started? I looked at phpBB, it looked enough for what we need but I dont know how to start.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, Liridon said:

Yes I believe so. As I said, it's a small guild - all we need is a tiny forum part and a apply section. Maybe a calendar as well.

Since I'm all new to this, I don't want to throw in that much money into this yet. I'm trying to learn what options there are out there for us.

Do you have any tips? How to get started? I looked at phpBB, it looked enough for what we need but I dont know how to start.

Thanks

Since you are starting so small then move away from your hosting package and look into this https://invisionpower.com/buy Cloud version since they will host it for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 11/09/2016 at 1:43 PM, Koby said:

The MySQL DB of my forum is nearing 3GB by itself. Then you still have to factor in IPS files and everything...

My server has 8TB of hard disk space and 32GB of ram.

 

3GB sounds like you're on some really tiny shared hosting package.

3GB? How many users does your forum have.

My DB is 70mb and we have 600 members and ~30,000 posts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/12/2016 at 3:49 AM, Neejrow said:

3GB? How many users does your forum have.

My DB is 70mb and we have 600 members and ~30,000 posts.

Getting close to 50,000 users and about 500,000 posts. But there is a lot of other stuff that takes up space, such as PMs for example. There may be some left over stuff too from the various software changes over the last decade.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Koby said:

Getting close to 50,000 users and about 500,000 posts. But there is a lot of other stuff that takes up space, such as PMs for example. There may be some left over stuff too from the various software changes over the last decade.

I also mentio for some other people that images also takes allot, I mean if you are using an cool theme that has background images. My website has 154 members and I pass the 3gb mark  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now