niK

IPS Upgrade

Question

Hey @Ehren :) The IPS is close to launch the 4.1.14 version, and I'm using the Villain theme. It's safe to upgrade without theme crash? And if theme update is needed, my customization like custom.css and template edits will be lost when I upload the new version xml?  

10 answers to this question

Hello,

I wont know until the .14 update has been released unfortunately. But upgrades will definitely be required. 

If you install a fresh version of the theme, you'll need to reapply any settings or code changes which you've made to your current version. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomk said:

Any updates on 4.1.14 now that it is out?  Do we need theme updates?

Thanks!

Theme updates will more than likely be required, yeah. I'm upgrading my demo board as we speak :)

• Like 2

How did the upgrade go?  and If I dont want to change all the settings and stuff with a fresh install how do I just upgrade when the upgrade is avail? do you just overwrite the style or what?

4 hours ago, RAHSTYLES said:

How did the upgrade go?  and If I dont want to change all the settings and stuff with a fresh install how do I just upgrade when the upgrade is avail? do you just overwrite the style or what?

How do you mean? Fresh install of what? IP boards entirely?

You can Download your edited theme in ACP by going to the Themes section and clicking the drop down arrow next to your theme, and clicking 'Download'.

Otherwise if you mean Updating IP Boards to 4.1.14, your theme will stay the same, provided there are no changes which effect the aspects of the theme. If there are changes, Ehren will release an update and then you will need to manually copy across your Custom.css, and any template html edits. Also the 'Edit Theme' things like Background picker etc, would need to be done again.

Hopefully someday IPS releases a way to streamline updates of themes, but currently the above is the only way to do it reliably. The 'Upgrade Theme' feature is pretty broken by all accounts, so I have never even bothered to try using it.

19 minutes ago, nodle said:

But if @Ehrenreleases his pure .css themes then you could do an in place update. :)

For some, CSS is enough.

But for people like me, we crave the extra customisation....

MMMMM tasty customisation!!!!! :D

20 hours ago, Ehren said:

Theme updates will more than likely be required, yeah. I'm upgrading my demo board as we speak :)

In true IPS fashion, 4.1.14.1 is out now, I'd expect a .2 or .3 sometime next week. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomk said:

In true IPS fashion, 4.1.14.1 is out now, I'd expect a .2 or .3 sometime next week. :)

Yeah I'm definitely holding off on updating this one for at least 2 weeks I think. So many errors are being thrown for people using plugins and 3rd party apps.

We're holding out on updating as well, but quick question regarding updating the theme. 

If we have customizations will those be lost during the theme upgrade?

Thanks!