Updating themes

Square Wheels

I saw this announcement http://www.ipsfocus.com/forums/topic/9535-announcement-themes-upgraded/?p=44219

I also remember reading somewhere that you recomend installing as a new theme instead of uploading a new theme. That is a problem when you have hundreds or even thousands of members. They lose their settings.

Can theme be uploaded as a new version instead of installing as new?

Thanks

I believe the "Upload new version" feature is quite buggy and can produce unexpected issues. I'm not sure if the old custom css files persist and aren't replaced with new ones, but something odd happens which makes the process unreliable. Currently, an "updated" theme will be different, code-wise, to a freshly installed theme. Feel free to give it a try if you wish though :)

For a bug free experience, it's best to upload a fresh version.. but I'm not sure of the best way to manage users' theme choices.

I'm not sure of the best way to manage users' theme choices.

Thanks, this is the part I am worried about. I have your themes on two sites. On one I have thousands of members, many are not computer savvy and when I set the default to Shift and update all users to that, some move back to the stock theme, most think the stock theme just changed. It's the few that move back that I don't want to frustrate.

Then there is my other site site, they are much more computer savvy and always let me know of every little glitch, including having their preferred theme changed.

Also, when I upload as new I usually forget to copy over my custom.css settings, I have a bunch.

I guess you could try and get an official response on how "Upload new version" works by asking on the IPS forums.. :unsure:

it's definitely not a good idea still, still buggy. With 4.1.10 I thought I give it ago (did a theme backup before hand) and the results aren't good :( it was missing some effects and lost some customized coding..