4.1 themes: Suggest features now!

Ehren

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a 4.1 framework theme, which means if you have any suggestions for features (or adjustments to existing ones), now's the time to let me know!

So far, I've added/modified settings so you can now:

- easily edit the colours of the guest message

- specify hours, minutes and seconds for the countdown (instead of just months and dates)

- specify your own custom text logo, instead of being forced to use your site name

There are also other minor changes, allowing you to use rgba colours in the theme settings for certain backgrounds (Header, etc) instead of being forced to use HEX colours via the colour picker. I may add a Halloween setting to the "Seasons" area, but I haven't done that yet.

To make maintenance easier, the "horizontal topic layout" feature will likely be dropped from the 4.1 themes. If there is enough feedback against this decision, I'll be happy to reconsider. :)

Once 4.1 (final) is released, I'll get started on recoding all of the existing 4.0 themes, followed by new ones. Progress will be updated on the progress page.

I'll just throw some ideas out there then.

• A reset to default option on skins that allow a user to customize colors/bg/etc.
  • Maybe an option to set the userbar/navigation as static or floating with the page for those you've coded as such.

I'll just throw some ideas out there then.

• A reset to default option on skins that allow a user to customize colors/bg/etc.
  • Maybe an option to set the userbar/navigation as static or floating with the page for those you've coded as such.

Thanks for the feedback.

The second option already exists with all of my themes. :)

Anything that would allow users to set their own colours or background images would be great.

On those skins that allow an admin to change the background, it would be great if users could also select their chosen image (even if just from a small selection, rather than any uploaded image)

I think anything that is a choice for the admin should be selectable by users.

The greater the ability for users to customise their experience of the forum the better. Most will not do it, but the option is there.

I don't know how feasible this is, but a way for users to disable responsiveness themselves? I have some users who want to see the desktop skin whilst on a mobile device. I have worked around this by adding the skin twice, and setting one as not responsive, but this is clunky.

Can the spacing for the countdown be configurable? I found it to be far too large. (Lots of empty space above and below the countdown.)

Halloween - yes please! :D

• Like 1

Anything that would allow users to set their own colours or background images would be great.

Color pickers will come in future versions of Infinite. Custom background images via URL is possible, but it's not an ideal solution since it means images will be hot-linked from other sites - and no one likes to be hot-linked from! The 3.4.x version of Uniform has this feature, but I don't have any plans to incorporate it into 4.x themes.

I don't know how feasible this is, but a way for users to disable responsiveness themselves? I have some users who want to see the desktop skin whilst on a mobile device. I have worked around this by adding the skin twice, and setting one as not responsive, but this is clunky.

Can the spacing for the countdown be configurable? I found it to be far too large. (Lots of empty space above and below the countdown.)

Halloween - yes please! :D

Not really possible since the css is defined with @media queries.. Easiest solution is to use your current method and have 2 themes.

The spacing is just controlled via css - it's very simply to modify ;)

More options in the config panel concerning backgrounds - i.e. in Chameleon it would be awesome if I could easily turn on the picker and that frosted glass effects (so I could have both simultaneously). I know it's always possible with css edits but it would be so much more convenient :)

Maybe an option to turn off the ability for users to make background & color changes so they're stuck with whatever default settings we admins set.

Maybe some option to pick which set is also the default for colors & backgrounds for those that have such options.

I noticed most of the suggestions everyone is giving including myself is mostly just options to enable or disable certain features easily. =O

Maybe an option to turn off the ability for users to make background & color changes so they're stuck with whatever default settings we admins set.

Maybe some option to pick which set is also the default for colors & backgrounds for those that have such options.

I noticed most of the suggestions everyone is giving including myself is mostly just options to enable or disable certain features easily. =O

There is already an option to disable the background/color pickers, forcing members to choose what admins set.

There is already an option to choose the default image for the background picker. For more complicated themes, tutorials already exist in the customer area.

More options in the config panel concerning backgrounds - i.e. in Chameleon it would be awesome if I could easily turn on the picker and that frosted glass effects (so I could have both simultaneously). I know it's always possible with css edits but it would be so much more convenient :)

This is a possible, but requires additional coding. The frosted background effect will slowly become a css filter in modern browsers (currently only working in Safari 9). The current method requires two images (one normal, one blurred), which may be difficult for some customers to modify.

I'm not even sure what this countdown is that everyone is refering to. Can anyone post a screenshot example?

It's a theme setting, allowing you to countdown to a specific date/time (if enabled). Useful for events, such as competition deadlines or release dates for products.

This is a possible, but requires additional coding. The frosted background effect will slowly become a css filter in modern browsers (currently only working in Safari 9). The current method requires two images (one normal, one blurred), which may be difficult for some customers to modify.

Maybe it's a different thing then what I'm thinking about... but isn't transparency easily done with rgba and works in all browsers?

I use:

background-color: rgba(136, 147, 169, 0.6);

and acheive a similar effect.

Example: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Koby?status=1

Unless 'frosted glass' is somehow different than this?

The number of images in the background picker has been increased from 4 to 6.

I have also custom coded my own navigation dropdown menu's, which will be helpful for themes which only have enough space for one line of navigation (instead of the "double bar navigation" in 4.1)

I have also changed the "Google fonts" setting into a javascript/css setting.. allowing you to easily insert scripts (<link> and <script>, etc) into the header without modifying the globalTemplate file.

The editor in my 4.1 themes no longer requires a separate "CKEditor skin". It can be styled directly from the custom.css file.

That's great. The less separation the better. Also makes your job a bit easier with updates right?

• Like 1

4.1 beta is out. They stated very little big things were changed so that 4.0.x themes should work but there would be a lot of minor things that may need updating.

4.1 beta may not be a version to go live with, but it should be good to go in terms of updating themes with.

4.1 beta is out. They stated very little big things were changed so that 4.0.x themes should work but there would be a lot of minor things that may need updating.

4.1 beta may not be a version to go live with, but it should be good to go in terms of updating themes with.

I downloaded the beta last week and have made a start on a new framework.. Basic themes don't require a lot of work, but unfortunately mine aren't basic. :) It took a long time getting everything updated.

could i only upload 2 images and the can only pick 2 images for background...

is their a way i can upload to different images for mobile and normal page view?

just thoughts for 4.1 ....

Yes to your first question, but no (unless you add custom code yourself) to the second. I'd like to keep the background picker as simple as possible.