How to install and upgrade themes

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sushant said:

I installed the theme and it appears like this. Where did i go wrong?

My theme is subway!

To be completely honest, I have no idea! Have you tried installing any other themes before or is Subway your first?

• 5 months later...

Hi, i just bought a new Theme today and i'm just wondering i installed the Theme Properly when i set as DEFAULT my website makes ERROR 500:
I couldn't access anymore in my Admin Panel and my Forum

Currently using: 4.1.16.1

The websitename page isn’t working

websitename is currently unable to handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Spectre1312 said:

Hello, I installed a theme on IPS Community Suite V4.1.19.4 and the front page says the theme name, (Dimension) and I was wondering how I would change that to my Community name?

Hello,

Where did you buy the Dimension theme from?

1 hour ago, Spectre1312 said:

My friend bought the Website and theme. I just develop his website. but im not used to the IPS Community Suite platform...

Your friend will need to sign into their ipsfocus customer account if you wish to receive support :) 

1 hour ago, TDUBS said:

I'm getting the same with the Villain theme on 4.1.19.4.

Support is only offered to Customers. If you purchased the theme on the IPS Marketplace, please PM me with your Invision username and I'll upgrade your account.

If you haven't purchased the theme, it'll need to be removed from your site.

Thanks for this tutorial!

Is it equivalent if I upload the most recent version as a parent theme as described, then simply edit (pencil icon) my slightly modified previous version to be the child to the newly uploaded parent version? 

If that's OK to do, and if I find in the future that one of the templates that's updated in the parent is one I've modified in the child such that something's not working, if I 'revert' that (child) template does it revert to the parent version, or whatever the contents where when the (child) was originally uploaded? I've never really understood "revert" :P  

@bradl

Converting an existing parent theme into a child won’t work unfortunately. You’ll need to create the child theme from scratch by following this tutorial. 

Reverting a child theme template file will restore the code from the parent theme. If you revert a parent theme template file, it’ll restore the code from the Default IPS theme which is never usually intended. 

I hope that all makes sense!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, uA_Y_C_A said:

What about nightly updates? Child theme will be editing, right?

I’m not really sure about the best way to apply nightly updates to this setup but I imagine adding it to the child theme would be the best way :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I saw the tidbit about updating and found and read this thread.

For those of us new to themes, it was enlightening and I certainly understand the premise behind creating child themes now.

However, I did not follow such instructions to begin with.  The only changes I made were within the editable options... uploading a logo, backgrounds, footer, etc...  I noticed that all of these options were copied exactly to the child theme.

When I upgrade the parent theme with changes to come, will the child theme maintain the changes still (since they were inherited)?  Just want to be sure that any inherited changes will not be wiped out with any update.

Thank you!