Ehren

2015 and IPS Suite 4.x

Very saddened to see that the Carbon remake will be further down on the list of skins being upgraded. Might have to get a different skin for 4 until the new Carbon is ready.

There's only one Ehren and a lot of skins to get sorted.

I myself want to see the Infinite skins upgraded or combined, but I'm not against choosing a new skin.

I'm likely going to be putting the upgrade to IPS4 off until later anyway, after the first few maintenance releases.

• Like 1

My approach is to wait for 2 things;

Overall community feedback that it is running smoothly and as expected

Ehrens skins to be up to date. I run a custom-made so will need to organise a custom upgrade if I continue.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Welcome to 2015, a year which is sure to involve a lot of new changes and updates on your communities with the introduction of IPS Suite 4.x. Invision released beta 5 earlier today and I've started working very briefly on a framework theme which will be used as the basis of all themes on ipsfocus. A framework theme is basically a more 'efficient' method of mass producing/fixing themes.

Once the final (non-beta) version of IPS Suite 4.x has been released, I'll be getting started immediately on upgrading the premade themes, specifically the ones marked with the orange "Includes update for 4.x" badge. Any customers who have purchased one of these themes since July 1, 2014 will receive a free upgrade for 4.x, assuming their customer subscription is still active! :)

Some of the older themes will undergo a slight redesign to 'modernize' them, however they will all still be heavily influenced by their 3.x version which means that your members won't experience a big culture shock when upgrading to 4.x. I don't have a timeframe at this stage, but I'll post updates whenever significant progress has been made!

If you have any questions, suggestions or feedback regarding the theme updates - let me know in this topic and I'll do my best to help! :)

Is chameleon dark high up on the first releases? :)

Hello Ehren,

what is the procedure to upgrade the theme? First you need to wait to be ready update you on the subject then has updated forum version 4 and then I ask you to help to update the topic in the forum?

Hello Ehren,

what is the procedure to upgrade the theme? First you need to wait to be ready update you on the subject then has updated forum version 4 and then I ask you to help to update the topic in the forum?

Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you're asking about upgrading your theme and forum, you would:

1. Upgrade your forum to 4.x

2. Install the 4.x version of your theme

3. Delete/hide all other 3.x themes since they will no longer work

• Like 1

Not entirely sure what you mean, but if you're asking about upgrading your theme and forum, you would:

1. Upgrade your forum to 4.x

2. Install the 4.x version of your theme

3. Delete/hide all other 3.x themes since they will no longer work

Thank you Ehren.

Are you planning on issuing releases to correspond with Invision's own release date? Or will your skin updates come after Invision's official release date for version 4.0?

Are you planning on issuing releases to correspond with Invision's own release date? Or will your skin updates come after Invision's official release date for version 4.0?

I'm working on a framework theme at the moment. Once the final version of 4.x is released, I'll get started on the premade themes. They will ideally be released within a couple of weeks after 4.0.0 :)

• Like 1

There's only one Ehren and a lot of skins to get sorted.

I myself want to see the Infinite skins upgraded or combined, but I'm not against choosing a new skin.

I'm likely going to be putting the upgrade to IPS4 off until later anyway, after the first few maintenance releases.

Yeah, I know how it is. However, our staff have already picked a couple alternatives (obviously from here at IPSFocus) that they liked so no matter what order they are released here, we will still have a quality theme most everyone should enjoy.

• Like 1

Yeah, I know how it is. However, our staff have already picked a couple alternatives (obviously from here at IPSFocus) that they liked so no matter what order they are released here, we will still have a quality theme most everyone should enjoy.

We're in exactly the same position.

For one of my boards we're looking at Villian. We're not yet decided on the skin for the other board.

• Like 1

For one of my boards we're looking at Villian. We're not yet decided on the skin for the other board.

I love villain, i used this for my 3.4 board - added a few customization to personalize it. I hope the updates won't be black and white, because I really loved how they looked before.

• Like 1

I have villain(We try to do a skin per year and it was our 2014 skin) and it was a fan favorite for our board at the time. It's still up but we've now switched to Chameleon dark for our 2015 skin. So I certainly recommend both of those!

• Like 2

I know for ours Snapshot and Dimension are front-runners, although once the new Carbon comes out that will still be put in as an option for members. However, what we go with initially will depend on what is available when we are ready to go live with our IP4 updates (anything but default IPB skin!).

However, I think with some of our planned additions to our site skins like Snapshot or Dimension will go a lot better, as I think overall, a lighter theme than Carbon will be more desirable by a majority of the member-base we will be marketing towards once our site additions/upgrades/updates are completed.

• Like 1

Just noticed 4.0.1 was released a few hours ago Ehren! Can you tell we are excited to see what you do with the themes in 4.0? :)

I think, at late in 2weeks :)

• Like 1

Hello,

on May 10 IPS planned to release 4.0.4 version. Need update! :)

Ehren is hard at work on the themes, however, he is facing issues from IPS with these mini-updates for IP4. IPS no longer gives change logs to the themes or a simple way to compare versions, so, it takes a long time for theme developers to go through them line by line to look for any changes in the framework. There was also a few lingering issues that Ehren reported and has been waiting on a fix for before he could go into "high gear" as well on theme development.

Although I cannot wait for the themes to be done (we are currently stuck with the default theme, yuk, I would rather wait for the themes to be properly updated, which is what Ehren does best! A little more time now, vs, headaches later, time always wins!

• Like 2

Uniform is done and ready to be released - I'm just setting up the new "purchase page" and making sure my development board is ready to be used as a demo board.

• Like 2

Uniform is done and ready to be released - I'm just setting up the new "purchase page" and making sure my development board is ready to be used as a demo board.

I think you meant Dimensions, yeah, Dimensions (and Carbon). :)

Seriously though, nice to see them coming out! Cannot wait!

I think you meant Dimensions, yeah, Dimensions (and Carbon). :)

Seriously though, nice to see them coming out! Cannot wait!

Uniform will be a good "public test" for Dimension since both themes are fairly similar. If Uniform is bug-free, Dimension will be too! :)

Uniform should hopefully be released in the next 12-24 hours, if all goes well. :) There is currently a bug with 4.0.2 which prevents certain theme resources (images) from being imported, so some images will need to be manually updated until Invision fix the issue.

Edit: Unfortunately due to multiple bugs with the IPS 4.x theme system, the release has been delayed.

• Like 6

Uniform should hopefully be released in the next 12-24 hours, if all goes well. :) There is currently a bug with 4.0.2 which prevents certain theme resources (images) from being imported, so some images will need to be manually updated until Invision fix the issue.

Well done and thanks for choosing Uniform as the first to be updated.