Skins and IPB 4.0?

mush zombie

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Skins have been free for all customers since 3.1.x I believe, if not earlier. There have been more than 20 free upgrades released since then. :)

Since 4.x is a major version release, all skins will need to be recoded from scratch - as a result, it's not feasible from my position to do upgrades for free. Some designs will be discontinued and new designs will take their place.

The only reason that these upgrades will be paid updates is because they require full recoding (and potential redesign) from scratch. Otherwise they would be free. :)

This may be a poor metaphor, but you could relate this situation to iPhone covers. If you purchased a cover for an iPhone 4 and then you upgraded your phone to an iPhone 5 (which is taller), you would need to purchase a new cover regardless of when you purchased the first one. It would be unlikely that the company would give you a free updated one especially since they aren't responsible for the new, taller requirement.

It may be possible to offer discounts to recent customers (who have purchased skins within one month prior to the 4.x release), but since there is no solid release date yet, it's difficult to give time frames. :)

Hello,

Skins have been free for all customers since 3.1.x I believe, if not earlier. There have been more than 20 free upgrades released since then. :)

Since 4.x is a major version release, all skins will need to be recoded from scratch - as a result, it's not feasible from my position to do upgrades for free. Some designs will be discontinued and new designs will take their place.

Any idea of which will stay? What about Carbon Orange, Carbon Blue and Splat? (I love the Carbon ones!) But I was about to set new forums up using Splat, but this might make it pointless if Splat is going to be discontinued.

And how long would it typically take for the themes to be updated once 4.0 comes out? Weeks, months?

Any idea of which will stay? What about Carbon Orange, Carbon Blue and Splat? (I love the Carbon ones!) But I was about to set new forums up using Splat, but this might make it pointless if Splat is going to be discontinued.

And how long would it typically take for the themes to be updated once 4.0 comes out? Weeks, months?

I honestly haven't decided what skins will (or won't) be upgraded yet. A majority of them will be, but some of the older ones (Navia, Checkered, iSkin, etc) may not be transferred.

I will likely merge all of the carbon skins into one and offer a limited (4 variation) colour picker instead of selling 4 different versions.

Invision haven't released any screenshots or previews of the new template, so I'm not sure how long new skins will take. I will be working purely on premade skins for a while once 4.x is out, so they would ideally be available within a couple of weeks.. but that's a pure estimate.

I honestly haven't decided what skins will (or won't) be upgraded yet. A majority of them will be, but some of the older ones (Navia, Checkered, iSkin, etc) may not be transferred.

I will likely merge all of the carbon skins into one and offer a limited (4 variation) colour picker instead of selling 4 different versions.

Invision haven't released any screenshots or previews of the new template, so I'm not sure how long new skins will take. I will be working purely on premade skins for a while once 4.x is out, so they would ideally be available within a couple of weeks.. but that's a pure estimate.

Please transfer over Navia. I don't have it purchased here however it's a nice skin and I do show it to customers as an option. If you convert it as-well, I'm sure it will be worth it to not only me but many others included. :)

• 3 weeks later...

This means I will have to pay again for a the skin? Hope it will not be that expensive for regular customers..

Ehren has to make a living too. The skin for IPB 4 will be completely different to the skin for the 3.X series. It's a lot of work to expect for free.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ehren is the only person who inspires me to edit and learn things about customizing skins. You should know that its skins are highly customized. Very good quality, unique features and more than perfect support.

A person really strong in code and that I really respect.

This new future version of IP.Board will have a complete system to enable or disable different features included in the skins. I totally agree that Ehren made pay the update because there will be many changes which equals a new skin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you upgrade Checkered, but perhaps alter it a little... it looks a bit too pale... but I've been interested in the skin.

As for Carbon... adding them all together would be an excellent idea IMO. I don't really see why they're separate anyhow. In my experience most skin sites offered simple color variations in a bundle... I've been interested in Carbon Blue and Red... but never wanted to pay for Carbon twice just for that.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

"Use coupon 'santa' during checkout to receive a $10.00 discount, valid until January 1. Free 4.x upgrades available for certain 3.x themes (marked with an orange 'upgrade badge')"

So, Free 4.x upgrades will not be part of this sentence? Or is this a lie? Now im confused! will the skins with Orange badge be free upgrade, or full price....again?