What do you think about Windows 8?

Dydy

Hello,

I would like to have your opinion about Windows 8 being given that I've never tried it, I would really like your opinion, is it good? Do I need update Windows 7 to Windows 8? Your opinion will be very helpful.

Thank you.

You do not need to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

I have Windows 8 installed on both of my machines, and I love it. Most people who do not like Windows 8 really don't give any good reasons. I find Windows 8 boots MUCH faster than Windows 7. I have had zero compatibility issues with Windows 8 and any of my software. I like the app store (like most app stores, it has free and paid stuff), and some of the apps are very, very good.

You do not need to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.

I have Windows 8 installed on both of my machines, and I love it. Most people who do not like Windows 8 really don't give any good reasons. I find Windows 8 boots MUCH faster than Windows 7. I have had zero compatibility issues with Windows 8 and any of my software. I like the app store (like most app stores, it has free and paid stuff), and some of the apps are very, very good.

Okay, I like the design of Windows 8, it looks really nice and clean! Windows 7 and Windows 8 are very similar.

Thanks for giving your opinion about Windows 8. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Most people who do not like Windows 8 really don't give any good reasons.

1. The interface really is awful. I have it on the laptop and just about tolerate it. I do not need a fully tiled start menu when using a mouse, it's a precision pointing device.
  2. The way it auto logs on the last user without any notification. Me and my girlfriend have user accounts so that we can separate our favourites, shortcuts, application profiles, etc. It takes quite a few tweaks to settings (settings that are not obvioius) to change this behaviour.
  3. The attempt by Micro$haft to monopilise the online gaming market through the introduction of their own service that is shoved in your face. Whilst I am all for user convenience, this has the potential to be extremely damaging to the consumer in the long run. Steam, Origin, Stardock and UPlay have a big job on their hands.

Windows 8 does boot up faster, but compared to my Windows 7 machine (which momentarily had Windows 8 on it) the difference is about 8 seconds. It certainly is not enough of a justification to make the switch.

I like the concept behind Windows 8 for mobile devices or touch screen terminals, but it is lacking the features wanted by power users. The uptake of Windows 8 thus far is reported to be lower than Vista. I'm not surprised. The PC market did not want the tiles.

The only reason I have in on the laptop is for the free BitLocker encryption.

• Like 1

1. The interface really is awful. I have it on the laptop and just about tolerate it. I do not need a fully tiled start menu when using a mouse, it's a precision pointing device.
  2. The way it auto logs on the last user without any notification. Me and my girlfriend have user accounts so that we can separate our favourites, shortcuts, application profiles, etc. It takes quite a few tweaks to settings (settings that are not obvioius) to change this behaviour.
  3. The attempt by Micro$haft to monopilise the online gaming market through the introduction of their own service that is shoved in your face. Whilst I am all for user convenience, this has the potential to be extremely damaging to the consumer in the long run. Steam, Origin, Stardock and UPlay have a big job on their hands.

Windows 8 does boot up faster, but compared to my Windows 7 machine (which momentarily had Windows 8 on it) the difference is about 8 seconds. It certainly is not enough of a justification to make the switch.

I like the concept behind Windows 8 for mobile devices or touch screen terminals, but it is lacking the features wanted by power users. The uptake of Windows 8 thus far is reported to be lower than Vista. I'm not surprised. The PC market did not want the tiles.

The only reason I have in on the laptop is for the free BitLocker encryption.

Thanks for your opinion. :)

• 3 months later...

Prefer Windows 7.

8 seems to mostly focus on those with touch screens.

As far as boot times, I have an FX-8150 with an SSD and on Windows 7, my PC takes a total of 7 seconds from time of pressing the power button until it's fully booted and ready to go.. So the increase in speed of boot-up any further wouldn't really be noticable.