Complete site change after 2.2?

Ehren

Hey guys,

I was thinking on redoing this site and keeping it as a portfolio site only for custom IPB skins. Many of our premades have been bought using fraud payments and a lot of our members are here only for support (which can also be offered at IPS Beyond).

I've got a job with extremepixels (as I have had for a few months now) so I will be working with them on upgrading their premade skins and making custom skins for any of their clients. This site will continue to operate, but only for custom skins and I'm not sure about what will happen to the forums yet. I may decide to keep them running, or I may try focussing more on my tutorial site and keep this site only for my portfolio as stated above.

These ideas are not permanent yet, but they are most likely the path that I will take in the near future.

:unsure:

It would be sad to see this site go in some ways.. but I do understand.. I barely have time to run mine with all the custom work..

I think you get quite a bit of good advertising/promo/google hits from here tho, so closing it off could be a mistake in the long run..

Good luck with the new job, and I hope you do well with EP.. :)

I agree. This is a great forum, and seeing it go would be dreadfully sad. However, I do understand where you come from, and this job with Extremepixels could be a great oppurtunity. I also know that you are CONSTANTLY over whelmed with custom work, and running the forums just adds another stress onto your list. However, please consider this post and I support your decision either way.

Thanks,

Perry

Why not just buy IPB? :huh: It's alot safer and easier managable than VB.. ;)

Well, I could make a LOOONG list of reasons why to choose vB instead of IPB.

• vB use better AJAX.

One example is that you just have to double click the forum icon when there is new posts and it will automaticly update so the new posts has been marked as readed.
    Another example, is when you click quicklinks on vB, it rolls out, and not just pops up like on IPB.
  • Better layout.

The layout of vB is MUCH better according to me, and my likings.
    It's also alot cleaner than the layout of IPB.
  • Better ACP.

I love the ACP of vBulletin, perhaps because it uses alot of AJAX features aswell, and also it's easy manageable for me.

I could go on and go on.

However, since I did list some good features about vB, and bad features of IPB, I will list some features reversed(good features on IPB, that vB lacks).

• Clickable forumname.

I love the fact that you can click the name of the forum, like on this:
    IPB Forum Skins
    It's clickable eventhough you're in index view.
    Not possible in vB.
  • Awesome blogging system

I love the IP.B
    There is no such blogging system like that for vB, which is a BIG shame.
  • Usergroups clickable

If you look at the index page, at the bottom you are able to include the usergroups such as "Admin, Moderator, etc"
    Those are clickable and link to a page with ONLY members of that group.
    No such thing in vB.

3 good things for vB, and 3 good things for IPB.

In my eyes, vB is alot better.

Also, IPB isn't safer, infact, there's already exploits for the latest version of IPB, while there is no exploits for even the version BEFORE the latest of vB(the latest is 3.6.3, and the one before is 3.5.5).

One last thing, please remember that vB have this as a job, and therefore they costs more, but in return you get a much better bulletin board.

Overandout~

I love this site, I am always looking through the forums and tutorials etc... But have never actually registered until now.

Would be a shame if it was to lose the forum :(

Anyway,

One example is that you just have to double click the forum icon when there is new posts and it will automaticly update so the new posts has been marked as readed.

Another example, is when you click quicklinks on vB, it rolls out, and not just pops up like on IPB.

Thats in 2.2 :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I could make a LOOONG list of reasons why to choose vB instead of IPB.

• vB use better AJAX.
  • Better layout.
  • Better ACP.

I could go on and go on.

However, since I did list some good features about vB, and bad features of IPB, I will list some features reversed(good features on IPB, that vB lacks).

• Clickable forumname.
  • Awesome blogging system
  • Usergroups clickable

3 good things for vB, and 3 good things for IPB.

In my eyes, vB is alot better.

Also, IPB isn't safer, infact, there's already exploits for the latest version of IPB, while there is no exploits for even the version BEFORE the latest of vB(the latest is 3.6.3, and the one before is 3.5.5).

One last thing, please remember that vB have this as a job, and therefore they costs more, but in return you get a much better bulletin board.

Overandout~

Yes, but one important thing you left out is the styles. VB doesn't have great styles, while IPB is the king in that part. I'm not sure if I agree with some of the things you've said, but some are true.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was hoping I could really get to learn a lot from here, a massive shame. But in all honesty, you should but your needs first. Or could you keep this site running with a new owner? I am sure Perry would be able to do more than a good job of keeping this place in order, that is if he wants to of course :thumbs:.