xenforo skins ?

majdi

awesome news for... xenforo itself

they have the best forum skinner supporting them now ;)

What do you think of xF so far Ehren? is it easy to skin and customize?

all i have seen so far is simple color changes, no unique skins yet :mellow:

Thanks haha.

I've only had a quick look at the template system. It's extremely different to IPB so it'll take some time to learn. I've seen a lot of colour changes (mainly because they're very easy to make with xenforo), so I'll need to take a better look to see how unique designs are made.

The css will be changed in the next version, so I don't really want to start any skins until the default template is 100% finished.

• 2 months later...

No updates yet as IPB has kept me busy enough. It's more of a spare time project if IPB skins slow down (which doesn't seem likely at the moment).

If I decide to do xenforo aswell, it will only be premade - not custom.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I purchased a copy of XF, it's not bad for a brand new product, with a couple of unique ideas but really I don't understand what the whole hype about it is, I wouldn't use it on a live site the way it is right now, but that might be worth re-visiting again in 2 years after it's been out a while, with some new add on components released, to me it just isn't anything other than a plain forum with some funky ajax added.

Still seems like the xenforo skinning system is very limited in what can be done. Most of the skins I've seen are just css variations - nothing actually unique.

I'll install the latest RC version later and take a look.

Take a look at this skin:

http://xenstyles.com/community/

Shows that you are only limited by how much you understand the software. You are the best IPB skinner. I doubt you would have a problem... if you have a few weeks of free time to figure out how things work.

I purchased a copy of XF, it's not bad for a brand new product, with a couple of unique ideas but really I don't understand what the whole hype about it is, I wouldn't use it on a live site the way it is right now, but that might be worth re-visiting again in 2 years after it's been out a while, with some new add on components released, to me it just isn't anything other than a plain forum with some funky ajax added.

That is the point. It is just a forum. Who needs a forum with a gallery, cms, blog..etc? I don't.

I can use Wordpress or Drupal for a cms and / or a gallery /blog.

That is the point. It is just a forum. Who needs a forum with a gallery, cms, blog..etc? I don't.

I can use Wordpress or Drupal for a cms and / or a gallery /blog.

I use the Invision gallery, and find it quite useful, as far as just forums go if I required a plain jane forum, I'd be looking to MyBB or SMF rather than XF the way it is right now, it just isn't that great.

I use the Invision gallery, and find it quite useful, as far as just forums go if I required a plain jane forum, I'd be looking to MyBB or SMF rather than XF the way it is right now, it just isn't that great.

I tend to disagree. MyBB is okay for a free forum...but I would never use a free forum. It shows you don't care about your community. XenForo is what vBulletin 4 should have been.

• Like 1

I tend to disagree. MyBB is okay for a free forum...but I would never use a free forum. It shows you don't care about your community. XenForo is what vBulletin 4 should have been.

I would have to disagree with that, you don't need to use a paid software to care about your community, that's like saying you don't care for the community because your using shared hosting, buy a VPS and it means you like them.

MyBB Is fine for a lot of people, some prefer other software.

Just my 2c :)

I would have to disagree with that, you don't need to use a paid software to care about your community, that's like saying you don't care for the community because your using shared hosting, buy a VPS and it means you like them.

MyBB Is fine for a lot of people, some prefer other software.

Just my 2c :)

For sure, to me a Forum is nothing more than a tool for people to converse, I know VB and IPB have a number of features that the free options don't out of the box, but I hardly see how it make a difference for how you care about the sites you run.

Last time I checked the largest known forum on the net was running a modded version of phpbb3, I've seen plenty of other forums out there that run on SMF, MyBB, Phpbb3 etc that have had a lot of care and love put into them.

One free forum software I love, but never ever seems to get any attention by anyone... Fudforum, it lacks some mod features, but they are they ones I find I rarely use, at that it's also the fastest one I have ever found.

Ok i may sound like a fanboy but speaking about my own personal preference IPB is the best. I own vB of which i have used since the early versions of vB 3 and now 4 of which is worse is in my opinion. I also own XF and its prolly the best forum software behind IPB. Now granted XF is in infant stages and hasnt had much time to grow. Who knows maybe after another year it will be a very competitive forum but not right now. IPB out of the box has everything you need for a forum and even a full website. So with that said, id much rather Ehren focus on IPB skins than a new forum solution and take all that time away to learn it.

Look at this way. If the ex-vbulletin devs were not the coders behind xen no one and I mean no one would even be talking about it.

Nothing in it is earth shattering. It offers less feature wise then free forums do. It will take years to get on par with IPB or even vbulletin for that matter and in that time judging by what I'm seeing at IPB it will take even longer, if ever, to catch up to IPB.

• Like 1

if you only need a forum xenforo is a good solution. why does the fact that ex vbulletin dev created xenforo matter: simple, because they created the leader (best) forum script in the past so they are able to create the next best thing and trust me they are on the right path.

• Like 1

if you only need a forum xenforo is a good solution. why does the fact that ex vbulletin dev created xenforo matter: simple, because they created the leader (best) forum script in the past so they are able to create the next best thing and trust me they are on the right path.

Look at this way. If the ex-vbulletin devs were not the coders behind xen no one and I mean no one would even be talking about it.

Nothing in it is earth shattering. It offers less feature wise then free forums do. It will take years to get on par with IPB or even vbulletin for that matter and in that time judging by what I'm seeing at IPB it will take even longer' date=' if ever, to catch up to IPB.[/quote']

I agree with both of those opinions for sure, they seem to be on a great path, I guess all my point was in the first place I just don't see what all the hype is about, after buying it and looking through it, I found it rather disappointing compared to IPB, I have no doubt it will be worth another look in two years from now as they have more time to refine it, and add features to it, but still as just a plain forum for someone that doesn't require features like gallery etc, I would still have a hard time going past the likes of SMF or MyBB...

Last night I downloaded SMF 2 and installed it on localhost to play with it, I managed to get a fairly impressive setup running after about an hour of tinkering, they have a tone of free gallery and blog components, not having looked through it in a year or so, if you give it some time you can get something really great going if you have the time, it sure didn't take me long.

I still do love IPB mainly because they release regular updates and small incremental feature introductions with all their components, it's just a great platform that seems to be supported by a really great group of people, Ehren being one of them, even if he doesn't work directly for IPS.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Xenfocus.com has been released for anyone interested in xenforo skins. :)

I have a XenForo license but don't use it. You're the only skinner that I've seen though who has actually customised the template and not just the CSS files!

Brilliant. :)