Introducing Slate

Ehren

Hi everyone,

I'm proud to announce the release of Slate, which is a skin designed specifically for mobile devices. The skin is designed heavily around css3, including gradients, text shadows, rounded corners and animations - and has very few images. The layout is user-friendly, has been coded efficiently and provides an enhanced layout over the default mobile design which comes with 3.1.x.

A dark version will be available soon.

Update: Two new versions of the skin have been released: a light (white background with black text) and dark (black background with white text).

slide6.jpg

Its a good idea but much like the ip board mobile skin it needs to be made in a variety of colours for instance if you run a sports based forum (which i do) when the team you support wears red its a massive no no to have a blue skin for instance.

Will definitely pick this up at some-point if a red version becomes available ;)

The skin was designed only for iPhone. I haven't been able to find someone to check it with Android/blackberry.

The skin's navigation is based on webkit animations, so if the browser isn't run by webkit, then it won't be usable in that browser.

Instructions are provided with the download explaining how to target iPhone/iPod users only (which means other mobile users will be redirected to the original mobile skin, and will still be able to access the site).

Wow, very nice. Just purchased!

Any chance you can make this compatible with the PSP system's browser? I'm currently running a PlayStation community and beneficial for my members. There is currently no mobile IPB skin for the PSP system available yet.

Plus, If IPBForumSkins doesn't have a PSP at their disposable, I'd be more than happy to send one in to be borrowed. I hope you take this in consideration.

Thanks.

Thank you Ehren for your hard work on this skin. It looks really wonderful and easy to navigate. I would like to see this skin work for other mobile browsers, including Nokia browsers. I'm glad to hear that you will be updating this skin for other browsers.

My Nokia (N97) uses 'BrowserNG, Version 7.1.4', it is being run on the Symbian operating system (Symbian OS S60 5th Edition). I will let you know if I find any other details.

I'm not sure if this helps you but in the IPB Admin control panel there is a list of browser User Agents which allows the automatic detection and mapping of skins to specific mobile users. You can take a look at this list of User Agents in:

AdminCP > Tools & Settings > User Agent Management

PS. I found that there was an error in this IPB list of user agents for Nokia browsers. The Regex value for Nokia browsers should be:

^Nokia[A-Za-z0-9]

The default value that was in IPB didn't work for me, but when I changed to this regex value the skin loaded correctly in Nokia browsers.

The skin will basically work with mobile browsers that:

a. Support either css3, including moz and webkit prefixes

b. Support HTML, css and javascript

It will basically have the same support as the default mobile IPB skin has, but it'll have a customized design and different features. :) So if the current mobile design (IP.Board Mobile) works on your device, this skin should too.

What sort of nokia is it? The design is aimed more towards phones which can correctly replicate full HTML/css sites (iPhone OS, Android, etc) - and it's simply a low-bandwidth and easy to navigate design for them.

If the standard IP.Board Mobile skin doesn't work on your nokia, my skin won't either..

Hi Ehren,

Mine is one of the latest Nokia phones, Nokia N97, which uses the Symbian S60 5th Edition OS and 'BrowserNG' seems to be the name of the browser. I have found that this mobile browser is very good at loading webpages including full IPB HTML skins so it most definitely loads full HTML / CSS websites and in-fact can even load Javascript.

The default IPB mobile skin does work on my Nokia's browser. But as I mentioned in a previous post, automatic detection of the browser only works after I correct the Regex value in the AdminCP 'User Agent Mapping' section:

http://www.ipbforumskins.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2533-introducing-slate/page__view__findpost__p__12010

Are you able to get a screenshot of what the mobile skin looks like? You'll need to select it from the bottom if you can only see the default skin.

Does it look the same as the demo site does in Opera? (black headers, etc) That issue can be fixed if needed..