IPS 4.2 theme updates

Ehren

Hi everyone,

This is just a quick announcement to confirm all ipsfocus themes will be upgraded to 4.2.x once it has been released by IPS. The theme upgrades will be free for existing subscribers, and they will be recoded from scratch into a new framework which will make them easier to manage and upgrade.

Additionally, let me know if you have any ideas for new settings or features and if they're popular enough, I'll add them to the 4.2 themes! :) 

Yeah I was also hoping there could be a quick follow-up during the beta just to make the themes usable.
I'm using Ortem currently and the theme no longer works due to something in the footer according to IPS support.
"This particular issue is caused by third block of changes in the template."

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined method IPS\\core\\modules\\front\\contact\\contact::canUseContactUs() in /var/www/html/forum/system/Theme/Theme.php(810) : eval()'d code on line 4940

Though I understand if you'd say no as I can imagine the workload to be rather large during these updates.

8 hours ago, uA_Y_C_A said:

Retina Logo feature

If you upload large logos, they're automatically downsized with css so they match the height of your header. In essence, the themes already have a retina logo feature :)

Themes have never supported the beta releases, and there are no plans to support 4.2.x until 4.2.0. Sorry about that!

9 hours ago, Ehren said:

If you upload large logos, they're automatically downsized with css so they match the height of your header.

It's not enough. I need to enter the size that should be shown thats why we need it. 

2 hours ago, uA_Y_C_A said:

I need to enter the size that should be shown thats why we need it.

You can already do that by changing the Logo height (px) setting under the Header tab :)

Alternatively, just add your own css to custom.css and restrict the size of the logo.

17 hours ago, Ehren said:

You can already do that by changing the Logo height (px) setting under the Header tab :)

Alternatively, just add your own css to custom.css and restrict the size of the logo.

Sorry i didn't know :( 

When i'm change the Logo height, It is very flat, do you have a solution to that?

6 hours ago, uA_Y_C_A said:

When i'm change the Logo height, It is very flat, do you have a solution to that?

Just add some transparent space to the top and bottom of your logo in an image editor :) 

If you have any further questions, go ahead and ask them in the customer forum. Support isn't usually offered in News announcements.

On 16/5/2017 at 11:43 PM, Outsideheaven said:

Yeah I was also hoping there could be a quick follow-up during the beta just to make the themes usable.
I'm using Ortem currently and the theme no longer works due to something in the footer according to IPS support.
"This particular issue is caused by third block of changes in the template."

PHP Fatal error:  Call to undefined method IPS\\core\\modules\\front\\contact\\contact::canUseContactUs() in /var/www/html/forum/system/Theme/Theme.php(810) : eval()'d code on line 4940

Though I understand if you'd say no as I can imagine the workload to be rather large during these updates.

in the footer template find 

{{if \IPS\core\modules\front\contact\contact::canUseContactUs() and !( \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->application->directory == 'core' and \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->module and \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->module->key == 'contact' )}}

and replace with

{{if \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->canUseContactUs() and !( \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->application->directory == 'core' and \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->module and \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->module->key == 'contact' )}}

This fix your fatal error but many other things are changed in 4.2.

• Like 1

To be perfectly honest, I like the new default theme a lot, fits the style of my website perfectly. Using a 3rd party one usually involves headaches during upgrades, so if it was just about the theme I would probably stick with the default one. What makes you stand out however is the level of support you provide - not only for your themes, but in general with css tweaks, etc. You can't find this anywhere, so even if I decide to go with the default I would still keep my subscription, just so I can ask random css questions from time to time :) Anyway, since the default theme looks good (in my subjective opinion), I think you can focus not only on modifying the general appearance, but more on settings and new features not found in it, similar to the NEW badge, icon choice and so on. 

Some suggestions:

- ability to move some elements around via settings. For example the new topic notes go to the top below the topic title, it might be great if they can be shown at the bottom above the editor instead. 

- some more theming in the other apps. Usually forums get all the love, while for example gallery looks pretty unattractive to me both in the default skin and all custom ones too. Especially the categories on top make me cringe. 

It might be too difficult, but anyway, just a suggestion :)

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing the themes for IPS 4.2.

In your current themes you have some holidays added. (Christmas, Valentines and Easter.)

Would it be possible to expand this selection or to have the ability to create one customised holiday? (e.g. upload custom theme icons, to cater for holidays based on religion/location/etc.?)

8 hours ago, The Heff said:

Looking forward to seeing the themes for IPS 4.2.

In your current themes you have some holidays added. (Christmas, Valentines and Easter.)

Would it be possible to expand this selection or to have the ability to create one customised holiday? (e.g. upload custom theme icons, to cater for holidays based on religion/location/etc.?)

I'd like to keep theme options limited to vital ones. I don't imagine custom holiday events would apply to most forums, so if you need to do this on your own site, I'd suggest either a custom.css modification, or simply modify the "Forum icons" theme settings :) 

8 hours ago, David.. said:

Will all themes be available and updated when 4.2 hits?

I'm quite excited for the new framework!

I'll do my best, but if all themes aren't immediately available with 4.2.0, they will be done as soon as possible. 

16 hours ago, Ehren said:

I'd like to keep theme options limited to vital ones. I don't imagine custom holiday events would apply to most forums, so if you need to do this on your own site, I'd suggest either a custom.css modification, or simply modify the "Forum icons" theme settings :) 

I'll do my best, but if all themes aren't immediately available with 4.2.0, they will be done as soon as possible. 

Thank you!

Hopefully Ortem is available on the release date because I believe 4.2 will also have security updates so we probably cannot wait. As long as my main theme is up to date, I can wait for the secondary theme to get updated later down the line then. :)

I'm excited about the release of 4.2 and the continued usage of IPSfocus skins, they will both look awesome.

Just dreading the renovations and tweaks that my site uses but it will be worthwhile in the long run. I think I will add a list of changes I apply and then how the edits go because I'll lose track of them otherwise. :P 

1 hour ago, joey_m said:

I'm excited about the release of 4.2 and the continued usage of IPSfocus skins, they will both look awesome.

Just dreading the renovations and tweaks that my site uses but it will be worthwhile in the long run. I think I will add a list of changes I apply and then how the edits go because I'll lose track of them otherwise. :P 

All of the 4.2 themes will have far less template changes which means theme updates won't be required as often. 

You'll need to reapply all of your modifications when you upgrade from 4.1 to 4.2, but after that, the themes will be very easy to maintain! :) 

The 4.2 framework has just been finished, and I've managed to easily and efficiently upgrade Novus to 4.2 (beta 4).

Contrary to earlier decisions, I'll be releasing a few themes during the 4.2 beta phase. I don't have an ordered to-do list so they'll likely be spontaneous decisions, but Novus will certainly be one since it's already finished. Stay tuned over the next few days :)